Title IV and the Home schooled Student

Money in the sky

Title IV and home schooled students

Federal student aid is doled out by the U.S. Department of education. It’s money that helps a student pay for higher education expenses such as tuition, books, rent, transportation, dependent care, trade school, or graduate school expenses. Under this program, which is a part of the Higher Education Act, home schoolers are eligible to apply for these government benefits in accordance with federal guidelines.

money bag

The main categories of distribution include:


  • Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL)
  • Direct Loan
  • Federal Perkins Loan


  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG)
  • National SMART Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

Students should check with the school’s financial aid office to see which programs that school supports.

The most basic eligibility requirements are that students must fulfill the following:

  • demonstrate financial need to learn more, visit Student.aid.gov/how-calculated
  • be a U.S. citizen of an eligible non-citizen
  • have a valid Social Security number
  • register (if you haven’t already) with Selective Service, if you’re a male between the ages of 18 and 25.
  • Show you’re qualified to obtain a college or career-school education by having a high school diploma or an equivalent such as: a GED certificate or completing a high school education in a home-school setting approved under state law; and maintain satisfactory academic progress in college or career school.
  • Find out more details about eligibility at \https://studentaid.ed.gov/sites/default/files/2015-16-do-you-need-money.pdf

money tree

Although home schooled students are not considered to have a high
school diploma or equivalent, they are eligible to receive FSA funds if their secondary school education was in a home school that state law (such as Texas) treats as a home or private school. Some states issue a secondary school completion credential to home schoolers. If this is the case in the state where the student was home schooled, she must obtain this credential in order to be eligible for FSA funds. She can include in her homeschooling self-certification (see above) that she received this state credential.

According to the government-published document entitled General Standards of Student Eligibility for Title IV Funds“An eligible institution is defined in part as one that admits as regular students only those who have a high school diploma or equivalent, are beyond the compulsory age of attendance for the school’s state, or are dually enrolled at the college a secondary school.”

Specific to home schoolers

“For students that finish homeschooling at a younger age, the Department considers them to be beyond the age of compulsory attendance if your school’s state would not require them to further attend secondary school or continue to be home schooled.

Keep in touch

TAMS and ED stands for Technology, Arts, Math, Science, and Education.

For more information about TAMS and ED Homeschool, visit us at www.tamsanded.com. We teach tolerance and diversity with hands-on and real-world activities. Our home school is for students who thrive in smaller classroom settings. We teach. We challenge. They learn.   For our students, the world is their classroom.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s