Kids love this fluffy mixture of baked potatoes, butter, sour cream, and shredded cheese. Twice-baked potatoes freeze well and can be served alongside a few fish sticks or chicken nuggets. Add a small salad and a fresh fruit dessert and every mom on your block will put your number on speed dial. She will want to know all of your creative lunch ideas.
TO PREPARE: I’m purposefully not listing ingredient quantities. This is totally a “as much or as little as you want” sorta recipe.
- Scrub and bake the potatoes until soft. Don’t oil the outside skin as it will become too soft, slippery, and easy to break.
- Cut each potato in half, lengthwise.
- While it’s still hot, gently scoop out as much potato as you can without breaking the skin. Use a towel to hold your potato so you don’t burn your hand. You You need You need to work with a hot potato so your added ingredients will easily melt into the mixture.
- Put all of your scoops of potato into a big bowl.
- Add sour cream, butter, and sharp cheddar cheese. Mash everything together until you reach your desired taste and consistency. Season as desired.
- Carefully spoon your potato mixture into each shell.
- Sprinkle cheese of on top (if desired).
- Label and date a zipper freezer bag and store in the freezer.
- When you’re ready to serve your tasty side dish, pop it in the microwave frozen and cook for about four minutes or cook for two minutes if thawed.
- Sprinkle some chopped green onion on top (if desired).